Friday, July 6, 2012

Summertime and the living is easy!

Happy Independence day all! 
It is hot all over the country this week, and I know many of us are enjoying outdoor activities. Stay cool and stay safe!
I am so thankful to have had a spectacular holiday with my pilot hubby! He almost never gets holidays off, so we really enjoyed our day even more.

I spent my 4th in the "way back machine" at Summerfest in Milwaukee, WI. We had a BLAST with a great group of friends, saw some good bands we've never heard of, enjoyed fantastic food from Mader's (if you like German food and are in Milwaukee, you must check this place out, Outstanding!) and then saw some old school metal Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden with an all out old school full on stage performance complete with giant size Eddie and crazy antics from Alice Cooper! Luckily for us, it really was "cooler by the lake" and we had some shade and a nice breeze. Also luckily for us, I think the heat kept some of the crowds away because it was not crowded at all until the main stage act.

As a kid, I went to Summerfest every year with my parents. I can't count the number of times I saw the Beach Boys or the Moody Blues! We saw the Nylons before anyone had ever heard of them. Being there brought back great memories and I was so happy to enjoy sharing the day with friends, and some of them had never been before so that was really super too! 

I have to admit, there were times when it was hard to go with the flow of the group and not "tell them how it's done". 

It's a great lesson I thankfully learned from my amazing husband a few years ago. I think it applies in life, and in business. When you look forward to an event, or something big, it's easy to visualize an ideal outcome. You see everything as you want it to be, and you see people doing and saying exactly what you would like them to. 

But life seldom follows our plans, it has plans of its own and it's easy to try to force things to follow the path we had envisioned. Trying to lead conversations, or orchestrate events to play out the way we imagined. 

The crazy thing is that life has a much better imagination then we do, and if we go with it, we usually get a much better result than we had dreamed up in the first place.

This weekend, enjoy your holiday with friends, family and loved ones. And remember, when things aren't going as planned, to go along for the ride, it could turn out to be the memory of a lifetime!

I'd love to hear of a time when things didn't turn out as you planned, but turned out amazing! 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment