Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Letting Go

This time of year, our new product line comes out for the Fall and Holiday, our biggest selling season. Consequently, our annual retirement list is published and I always get a backlash from my customers asking why oh why are we discontinuing their favorite collection or more often their favorite fragrance.

I felt myself slipping into that a bit this year, as some of my current favorites are on the cutting list, but then I recall how much I fall in love with the new fragrances each time they are revealed, and the new collections. If we never let go of the old, there would never be room to embrace the new. 

I think as women, we are more sentimental than men, and we have the tendency to hang on to things. Not just our favorite products, or fragrances, but our favorite stores, parks, ice cream shops. We develop an emotional attachment to things. Even ideas.

As women entrepreneurs, we are always coming up with new ideas and new things to try or new ways to try them. But we still get caught in the trap where we come up with something and then get emotionally attached to it, more than the outcome it was meant to produce.

A really great exercise to shed some stress and guilt this week is to take a look at what you're holding on to that may be holding you back. And allow yourself to let it go to make way for some great new stuff!

I just heard that a dear friend was let go from her place of business today. No notice, no explanation, no indication that anything was amiss. Not surprisingly, she is hurt and shocked. As a friend with another perspective, I was able to look at the situation and pose a thought she never considered that may open up her options and possibilities exponentially.

Sometimes, we have to let go of the mundane to make way for the amazing.

I would love to hear what thing this week you are allowing yourself to let go, if you're really brave, you can share what it's been holding you back from.

P.S. If you're interested in checking out our retiring list, you can do so here.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment