Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sometimes life is Spartan Tough

Last weekend, I completed the Super Spartan obstacle mud run. I definitely under estimated the level of hard core that they would bring to this course. As an endurance athlete, I've completed 4 half marathons, a 10K, 2 marathons, and a triathlon. I've done the Warrior Dash (another obstacle race) twice previously and I knew I would be under trained, but I had NO IDEA! 
 

At the half way point, I reached the first obstacle that my wonderful spectating husband could see me at. He asked how I was doing, and dutifully snapped a few pics. I told him, this may be the first race I DNF (did not finish). I had no idea what I was in for. The second half was far worse than the first and he was there for the last half dozen or so obstacles and sets of burpees - ugh! But I did finish, I didn't give up. Thank goodness for the awesome nature of the other athletes on these types of courses, everyone helps each other. Being 5' 3 1/2" , there was a lot I really couldn't do on my own, no one hesitated to give me a boost or an arm up. This is me coming back down an 8' wall.








Sometimes, life is just like that. You think you know what you're in for, you may even realize you're not quite prepared, but you think you at least know what to expect. You may have to climb an obstacle that is much taller than you first realized...













 You may get stuck and feel like you keep slipping backwards, like you'll never make it out. 






But whether you realize it at first or not, there are always people around to help you. You just have to be willing to accept the help offered to you. As long as you don't give up, you will prevail over whatever life throws at you.









And, when I finally got home, I was happy I knew the formula to create the most soothing relaxing bath EVER even though that is not a normal treat for me. Our tub is small and not very deep. I brought in our little step stool to serve as my bath-side table, the book I'm currently reading and a cold bottle of my recently completed home brewed milk stout. Aaaaaaahhhhhh



Get your free guide: “Self Care Tips for Personal and Professional Success”
www.winewomenandwax.biz/freebie.html



Learn how you can reduce and relieve stress with 3 Surprising Self-Care Secrets for Busy Women in this 30 minute FREE webinar
http://www.anymeeting.com/PIID=E950DC8282473F

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. I know other people who love doing these. Since I have a fear of falling, it's hard for me to imagine myself getting through one but you make me want to try.

    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Well Done. I'd Like to do the same thing looks like challenging fun. I love the Metaphors you used throughout about life's cliffs and valleys. Just have to keep keeping on no matter how tough it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spartan Tough is an understatement. This is an amazing example of tenacity. Many years ago I had an opportunity to participate in a challenge course, though it wasn't as brutal as this one. I can still remember the sense of empowerment and renewed strength I had when it was over. Great post. I am definitely adding your blog to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete