Monday, June 25, 2012

The Hokey Pokey, Best Laid Plans and Going with the Flow

We enjoyed a wonderful exhausting weekend with friends this past weekend. We had friends in from out of state and we not only enjoyed a concert for a band who hasn't toured the US in a decade or so, but enjoyed much food, drink and laughter with friends we rarely get to see, and my pilot husband was home for the entire weekend which is almost as rare as our friends' visit.

Saturday, we met for dinner and drinks, went to the show and then went for some nosh, drinks and chatting afterwards, getting home about 3:30 am on Sunday (this pic was taken about 2:30 am Sunday I believe) when we planned to do some Chicago sightseeing with our friends.

Sunday didn't quite go as planned. We were thinking we'd get together around 1pm, lunch and visit the sights in the city. Our friends seriously over slept (much needed) and we didn't start our Sunday visit and sightseeing until 5pm. What was planned to be an afternoon of sightseeing followed by an evening where we found ourselves back at home by 8pm ended up an evening when we got home at 1am. As the only member of our group who needed to be up and at the office this morning, I could have called it an early night, or spent the evening thinking about how I needed to be home and in bed to be rested for my work week and I would have missed out on some great, rare and fleeting memories with dear friends.

So thankful that my husband and I were "all in", and able to go with the flow and enjoy one of life's greatest pleasures, Good Times with Great Friends.

At 9:00 when I was planning to be home, unwinding for the evening, we were headed up to the skydeck of the Sears (now Willis) Tower. We enjoyed the fantastic view, frightened our 2 acrophobic group members in this crazy clear floor outcropping, and pointed out cool Chicago landmarks. We returned to drop our friends at their hotel, and my good friend, also one of my favorite singers burned us a copy of his new upcoming album. As we went to our car to make sure it would play in our player, he suggested we grab dessert and 1 more drink. At 10:30 we were walking down Michigan Avenue headed to Grand Lux Cafe. I admit, I'm a little surprised to say that at no time did I check my watch, or worry about how my lack of sleep would affect my Monday. We were in the moment and I'm so happy for it.

Driving in to the office this morning, listening to my pre-release copy of a much anticipated album, I can't think how lucky I am. To be surrounded by such extraordinary people in my life.

As women entrepreneurs we must recognize and seize opportunities not only for great business partnerships, expansion and growth, but also and perhaps more importantly opportunities to Live our Life to the fullest, NOW.

What if we played "all in" every day? Like the Hokey Pokey. How much of life's remarkable experiences do we allow to pass us by because we're preoccupied, worried about tomorrow, or that list of to-dos and obligations.

I don't espouse neglecting our commitments, nor do I recommend going without a plan. There are many times when we need to focus, stay on track and work hard to make the goals we've set or get the results we require. Those are super important things that do require our focus and attention.

As women entrepreneurs, we have so much on our plate every day. So many commitments to our business, our families, our friends, loved ones, and colleagues. We have lists of chores to maintain our households, keep our children on schedule and on track, and the list goes on and one. It's SO easy to be focused on "the next thing" that you fail to truly take time to notice THIS thing.

So, when you make a decision to be with someone, or to be somewhere, BE THERE. ALL IN.

How many times to you see people on their smart phone at their children's soccer games? What if you miss a perfect goal, or a spectacular save?

So today - put your whole self in and shake it all about, do the Hokey Pokey and turn yourself around.
Cause THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment