Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Altruism, giving, self care?

If you've been reading for some time, you may find yourself surprised by today's post. I often write about how we as women are drained and stressed out and overwhelmed by constantly taking care of all those around us. So, it may seem strange that today I am going to recommend volunteering your time to give care to those less fortunate.

But hear me out. I don't know if this is as true for all of you as it is for me, but I have a running list of things I want to do because I simply want to do them, it can be because I have an interest, because I think they will make me feel good, because I want to learn about them, or because I think they are just plain cool. 




Things like...
  • Martial Arts
  • Competitive Agility trials with my dog
  • Kayaking or canoeing
  • Making my own wine

Some things on my list I've recently actually done...
  • Making my own home brewed beer
  • Completing a triathlon
  • Completing the Chicago Marathon




These lists go on and on. I'm sure you catch my drift. One of the things that is regularly on my list is volunteering more. But I never find the time to look into the organizations, or the time commitment does not fit my schedule, or the location or whatever. 

I'm sure many of us have heard that there is no such thing as true altruism as whenever you give to another, you get back something in return, even if it just the feeling of warmth or accomplishment or joy at seeing another's burden's lessened or heart lifted.

At this time of year, with the holidays in the air, there is no shortage of opportunities to volunteer, and organizations are openly and actively looking for assistance. Toy drives, coat drives, food drives, soup kitchens, veterans assistance, pack and send supplies or gifts to the troops currently deployed, if you live near a base, there are programs where you can invite a soldier to your home for a holiday meal, you can even visit an elder care facility and simply spend time visiting with some of the residents who don't have family that visit very often.


The different ways you can give back are limitless and the effort to find them now is minimal. You can even include the whole family and share this experience of giving and receiving with your children.

You'll find, that you get to check something off of that list of yours that you never get to AND you'll find yourself feeling warm, wonderful, and filled with joy and love.

And isn't that the whole point of self care after all?



Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon, I love this idea. We had a giveback component for Hurricane Sandy at my recent workshop and it was so wonderful to help. And I would love to try your homemade beer!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fun Christine! I love the added element of a local impact cause as well. I'll have to see what I can do about bringing some of my beer along to our retreat :D

    ReplyDelete